Frequently Asked Questions

Who is mc²?

MC Squared Energy Services, LLC (mc²), is a licensed Retail Electric Supplier in the states of Illinois and Ohio. mc² has been providing electricity supply services since 2009. For more information on mc², read the Company Profile section of our website.

What is a Retail Electric Supplier?

A retail electric supplier is a business that sells electricity to residential and/or commercial customers in a competitive market. To do business in Illinois and Ohio, an electric supplier must be certified by the state’s Commission, and complete the applicable utility’s registration process.

How is mc² different from the electric utility?

mc² serves as a licensed retail electric supplier, selling electric power to residential and business customers. mc² delivers bulk power to the utility system. The utility, in turn, serves as a local distributor in charge of the physical delivery of power to your residence. The utility is responsible for the safe and reliable supply of power to your meter. The utility retains all control and responsibility for the distribution wires, substations, poles, and meters; in addition to being responsible for all service issues, such as outages. Customers should contact their local utility for assistance with meter readings, outages, voltage or other delivery-related concerns.

How do I select mc² as my new supplier?

It’s not difficult to enroll. Click Here to enter your zip code and you’ll be directed to the webpage to see the offer in your state/utility territory. If you want to enroll, simply complete the online enrollment form and agree to the Electric Supply Agreement. We’ll process the electricity supply request with the electric utility company.

Can I select mc² if I’m a business customer?

At this time mc² is only serving business customers in Illinois. Call us at (877) 622-7697 for a free analysis to determine all your competitive options.

What happens when I select mc² as my supplier?

You will continue to receive the same reliable electric service through the same transmission and distribution system currently operated by your electric utility. There are no changes to your existing power delivery process. Through mc², you will receive an energy supply price as defined on the Terms and Condition of Service, with no signup fees and no early termination fees.

If I select mc² as my supplier, do I have to notify the utility?

No. After you've selected mc² as your electricity supplier, we'll take care of notifying the utility on your behalf. There is nothing else that you need to do.

When will my new service with mc² begin?

The start date coincides with a regularly scheduled utility meter read cycle date. mc² will commence service on the date noted in your Electric Supply Agreement, subject to receiving an electronic acceptance from the utility.

How will I be billed?

You will continue to receive one bill from your electric utility company. The mc² charges for electricity supply and transmission services will be included in the “Supply” section of your monthly utility bill statement. Your electric utility will continue to bill you for the Distribution Services and applicable Taxes, which you must pay no matter if you are with a supplier like mc² or from the electric utility. Payments are sent to the utility at the address provided by the utility.

Can I still get my bill electronically from the utility? Can I stay on Budget Billing?

Yes. Switching to mc² doesn’t impact the bill options provided by your electric utility, such as budget billing for example. For additional questions on these programs, contact your local utility.

Will I receive confirmation of my changes to mc²?

Yes. mc² will send a confirmation email to the email address provided with instructions and access to the "My Account" portal on our website. There, you can view a copy of your MC Squared Electric Supply Agreement for Service. You may update your personal information in the portal as well. In addition, the utility will also mail you a confirmation letter indicating that they have received notice of your change to mc² as your electric supplier.

Will the utility treat me differently once I select mc² as my supplier?

By law, the utility must provide the same service to each customer, even if you have chosen a retail electric supplier to supply your electricity. The utility is responsible for the delivery of power and energy to your residence, and will continue to respond to service calls and emergencies.

What happens if I have to cancel service with mc² before the end of the agreement term?

mc² allows our residential customers to cancel service and pending enrollments for service without a penalty or early termination fee. However, you are obligated to pay for the electric supply services rendered under the contract until service is terminated.

Who do I call if I have questions about my bill?

If you have questions related to the delivery or metering portion of your bill, you should call your local utility. For questions about the supply portion of your bill, call mc² at 1-855-740-9992. Numbers for both the utility and for mc² can also be found on your utility bill.

Who do I call if my power goes out?

The electric utility company is still responsible for the safe, reliable delivery of the electricity you purchase from mc². You will continue to call your electric utility for all delivery issues, including outages, voltage problems and distribution emergencies.

What happens at the end of my agreement with mc²?

mc² will send an electronic renewal notice to your email address with the new terms. In addition, you will receive information regarding how many days you have to cancel the renewal before it is deemed accepted. However, we have no termination fees so you can cancel the service at any time.

Can I select another supplier or go back to the utility after I enroll with mc²?

Yes. You can select another supplier or return to the utility at any time without early termination or cancellation fees.

Can I select another supplier or go back to the utility after I enroll with mc²?